This holiday season, why not try something different and have an authentic Southwestern holiday dinner with the family? This year Reading Arizona is sharing authentic Southwestern recipes for the holidays that have been used throughout Arizona since 1911. We hope you enjoy these authentic recipes and continue to watch for more. From all of us at the Digital Arizona Library (DAZL) and Arizona State Library, we wish you a happy holiday season!
Red Rock Christmas Cake
- 1 cup Butter, softened
- 2 ½ cups Sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon Almond Extract
- 8 Eggs
- 4 cups Floor
- 1 package (16 oz.) Raisins
- 2 jar (8 oz. each) Candied Cherries
- 1 jar (8oz.) chopped Candied Citron
In large bowl, beat butter, sugar and extract together. Add eggs, 2 at a time, beat in flour. Add raisins, cherries and citron. Bake in 300 degree oven in well-greased tube or bundt pan for 2 ½ hours. Let cool 30 minutes.
- Bollin, Susan K. Sedona Cook Book. American Traveler Press, 2010. Accessed November 13, 2015. Page 86.
Belle fleur apples, wash, cut in halves, remove core, and place side by side in a shallow baking dish. Cover with sugar, sprinkle with cinnamon; add one cup boiling water, small piece of butter and a few raisins on each apple. Cover all with ground English walnuts. Bake in hot oven until well done.
- The Arizona Cook Book. Press of the Morning Journal, 1911. Accessed November 13, 2015. Page 25.
For more Arizona-inspired holiday and non-holiday recipes visit readingarizona.org and explore the many cookbooks that feature Arizona cuisine.